Dr. Walt Griffin, Superintendent
Walt Griffin, Ed.D.
Walt Griffin was appointed Superintendent of Seminole County Schools on July 1, 2012. Dr. Griffin began his career as an Algebra teacher. Dr. Griffin moved through the ranks of Seminole County Public Schools serving in many roles including teacher, assistant principal and principal.
He is a two time Florida Department of Education “Turnaround Principal” raising the rankings of both Millennium Middle School and Seminole High School by two letter grades. Since taking over as Superintendent, Seminole County is ranked #1 in the state in Advanced STEM education, career/vocational education has quadrupled and Seminole county has maintained an “A” rating from the Department of Education.
- In 2003 Walt was selected as the “Florida Principal of the Year”.
- In 2008 Walt received the Seminole State College Pathfinder of the Year Award.
- In 2014 Dr. Griffin was named a National Future Ready Superintendent and was invited to the White House to share the innovation taking place in Seminole County Schools.
- In 2014 Walt served as a special consultant for the US Justice Department during the Ferguson crisis.
- In 2015, Walt was recognized as the Florida Educator of the Year by the Holler Family.
- In 2015, Walt was named a Charter Member of the Bethune-Cookman University Education Justice Conference.
- In 2016 received the Biliteracy Leadership Award from the Florida Hispanic Education Coalition.
- Most recently Walt was named as one of the CEO’s of the Year by Orlando Business Journal.
Walt and his wife Lori of over 30 years reside in Oviedo. They have two married children and one granddaughter.