Pre-K Disabilities Program
Seminole County Public Schools (SCPS) offers a continuum of special education services for children ages 3-5 who meet state eligibility criteria as a student with a disability. Services are provided at designated SCPS sites and are based on student needs as determined by an Individual Education Plan (IEP) team. These services include direct instruction in a Pre-K classroom, speech and/or language therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and support for transitioning to kindergarten.
The Pre-K Evaluation Clinic supports families of children ages 3-5 in the identification of developmental delays through the evaluation of:
- Pre-Academic Skills: early learning skills such as matching, memory skills, counting and naming colors.
- Communication Skills: ability to understand spoken language, express wants and needs clearly, and follow directions.
- Social/Emotional Skills: interaction with peers and/or adults and the ability to follow directions.
- Adaptive or Self-Help Skills: toileting, dressing, feeding, and attending to tasks.
- Gross and Fine Motor Skills: large motor movements such as running, jumping, and skipping.
- Vision and Hearing: small motor movements such as cutting, drawing, and stringing beads.
Should my child be evaluated?
In the preschool years, there is a wide range of what is considered to be typicaldevelopment and acceptable behavior. The following list of behaviors are warning signs of potential problems that may interfere with your child's early education.
- Difficulty interacting with peers and adults.
- Avoids playing with other children
- Difficulty understanding or using language (i.e., trouble following directions; answering questions; asking questions).
- Difficulty participating in age appropriate activities.
- Spontaneous speech is not easily understood by others.
- Demonstrates atypical behaviors (i.e., lining up toys; repeating movements; repeating words or phrases).
- Demonstrates restlessness or limited attention.
To find out more or schedule an evaluation, please call:
PreK Evaluation Clinic
239 Rinehart Road,
Lake Mary, Florida 32746