Health & Sciences Programs
The health care industry is projected to grow both in numbers and career diversity in the coming years. If you have a desire to help others through the application of science, then medical programs in Career and Technical Education (CTE) may be right for you. Developing the skills and experiences to research and heal will help graduates of these programs make a positive impact on the health care industry and the patients who participate in it.
We encourage you to explore the programs listed below that Seminole CountyPublic Schools (SCPS) offers within the Health and Sciences industry.
Oviedo High School hosts the SCPS Program of Emphasis in Bioscience. Florida is one of the fastest growing biotech centers in the U.S. and is home to more than 9% of the nation’s 1,450 biotech firms including:
- The Max Planck Institute of Bio-Imaging
- VGTI Florida (Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute)
- Hussman Institute for Human Genomics
- Scripps Research Institute Florida
- Sanford Burnham Research Institute
- Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies
Bioscience includes more than just Biology. Biotechnology encompasses allbranches of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) dealing with the structure and behavior of living organisms. By understanding the function of livingthings, products can be made or modified for a specific use to benefit society.
The Bioscience Program is offered at Oviedo High School as a Program of Emphasis and has transfer options available.
- Biochemist (Average Salary $54,020)
- Biomedical Engineer (Average Salary $62,660)
- Crime Lab Analyst (Average Salary $40,170)
- Pharmacist (Average Salary $112,560)
- Pharmaceutical Sales (Average Salary $66,810)
Forensic and Legal Studies
Students in the Forensic Science track gain experience in Crime Scene Investigation, Evidence Collection and Processing through engaging hands-on activities. Forensic scientists use groundbreaking scientific technology, analytical thought processes and careful examination of detail to give reliable and testable evidence in criminal investigations. This program will allow students to gain skills and experiences that will help them prepare for careers as a Crime Scene Investigator, Medical Examiner, Forensic Technician and more!
Students in the Legal Studies track learn the foundations of our legal system while developing an understanding of how those foundations continue to shape and guide our society today. Students will learn about some of the most famous and controversial cases in history and will have the opportunity to come to their own conclusions about the outcomes of those cases. This program will allow students to gain skills and experiences that will help them prepare for careers as Attorneys, Paralegals, Law Enforcement Officers and more!
Forensic and Legal Studies are offered at Lake Mary High School and has transfer options available.
- Forensic Science Tech (Entry Level Wage $16/hour, Average Wage $22/hour)
- Lawyer (Entry Level Wage $34/hour, Average Wage $72/hour)
- Legal Secretary (Entry Level Wage $12/hour, Average Wage $19/hour)
Health care and medical occupations are projected to grow faster than other occupations through 2022, accounting for nearly one-third of the total projected increase in jobs in the US. The health care field offers a world of possibilities that is growing and evolving every day. Employers will be looking for students with training in this field.
The Academy of Health Careers at Seminole High School is a member of the National Academy Foundation (NAF) and has been recognized by the Department of Education as one of the Best PracticeAcademies in the state of Florida. Courses are taught by experienced medical professionals. Students explore multidisciplinary healthcare occupations and current biotechnology combined with the opportunity to get hands-on experience through clinicals at local hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
The Health Academy is located at Seminole High School as a magnet program and has transfer options available.
- Dental Hygienist (Average Salary $61,110)
- EMT (Average Salary $32,100)
- Physical Therapist (Average Salary $82,980)
- Registered Nurse (Average Salary $62,060)
- Surgeon (Average Salary $237,870)