Karen Almond, School Board Member
With a heart for serving this community, Karen Almond has been a community and education advocate for more than 25 years. She has dedicated thousands of volunteer hours within the school system, the City of Casselberry, Seminole County, and grassroots political campaigns - helping to elect others who serve and support the needs and best interests of our students and community. Almond began serving as a Seminole County Public Schools Dividend/Volunteer since 1989 with experience as a Take Stock in Students Mentor, as a PTA President, and a School Advisory Council Chairman. She also served on the District Governor’s Jr. All Star Selection Committee, District School Improvement Review Committee; Dividend of the Year Selection Committee (2004 to present), and SCPS Best Practices/Vision Quest Team.
Almond was elected to serve her first term on the Seminole County School Board in 2010. She has been a Seminole County resident since 1970. Almond, her husband, Randy, and their three children attended Seminole County Public Schools. She is a proud graduate of Lyman High School.
Karen’s Recognitions, Honors and Leadership
Throughout her career, Karen has received many recognitions and honors for her selfless volunteer and leadership efforts:
- 2001 - Casselberry Police Department Citizen of the Year
- 2003 - Seminole County Public Schools Dividend/Volunteer of the year, with 6,000+ hours of service
- 2004 - United Way Community Impact Leader of the Year nominee
- 2004 Outstanding School Volunteer - Florida Dept. of Education and Nomination for Women of Distinction by Girl Scouts Citrus Council
- 2010 – The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, Paul Harris Fellowship, in recognition of humanitarian efforts
- 2011 – Seminole County Board of County Commissioners Resolution, for outstanding service as a member of Metro Plan Orlando’s Citizen’s Advisory Board
- 2012 – Graduate of Leadership Seminole, Class 21, Presidential Alumni Member
- 2012 – Florida School Boards Association, Certified School Board Member
- 2013 – Casselberry Elementary Leader In Me Symposium Participant (Covey – 7 Habits)
- 2013 - Florida School Boards Association, Master School Board Member, with Distinction
- 2017 – United Negro College Fund/UNCF Champion for Education
- 2017 – The Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, Paul Harris Fellowship, in recognition of humanitarian efforts
Leadership and Committee, Business, Civic Active Membership/Participation
- Children’s Cabinet
- Casselberry Chamber of Commerce
- Oviedo Winter Springs Chamber of Commerce
- Seminole County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Community Alliance, Chairman
- Five Year Capital Improvement Plan Committee
- Seminole Prevention Coalition
- PBAS/Private Business Association of Seminole
- CLEO/Community Leaders and Elected Officials
- SEDEN/Seminole Economic Development Education Network
- Casselberry Community Forum
- Rotary Club of Seminole County South
- St. Mary Magdalen Council of Catholic Women, St. Eamon’s Circle
Almond is a Leadership Seminole Graduate, Class 21, whose Legacy Project is the dental clinic at Harvest Time International.
She has served on the Environmental Studies Center Committee, the Healthy Start Board of Directors, and the Seminole County Public Schools Foundation’s Grant for Great Ideas images/almond.jpg Committee. Since 2003, Almond has served on Congressman John L. Mica’s Congressional District Air Force Academy Selection Committee. She is an active Member of Rotary Club of Seminole County South. In 2009, the Rotary named Almond a Paul Harris Fellow for her humanitarian service.
Almond’s past service includes many committees for the City of Casselberry: Occupational License Review Board, Local Law Enforcement Block Grant Advisory Committee, Citizen’s Assessment Committee – Police Chief Selection 2001, Chairman Parks & Recreation Special Events Advisory Committee. She also served as a Seminole County Representative on the Metro Plan Orlando Citizens Advisory Council for three years.
Charities and Non-Profits that Karen Supports
- The Foundation for Seminole County Public Schools
- Sports 4 the Kids
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Kids House
- Boy Scouts
- GROW Central Florida, Inc.
- Leadership Seminole
- A Gift for Teaching/Tools for Seminole Schools
- Young Men of Excellence
- UNCF/United Negro College Fund
- The Foundation for Seminole State College
- Christian Help
- Sharing Center
- Florida Sheriff’s Youth Ranch
- Rescue Outreach Mission
- Erin Leigh Boyle Foundation
- Brianna Marie Foundation
Almond continues to build and strengthen relationships within the community and school district. She supports initiatives that provide opportunities for all students.