What is Transition?
Transition planning begins before age 14. Transition includes coordinating supports and services throughout grades K-12 and into adult life. The purpose of transition services is to help improve academic success and post-school outcomes.
- Transition planning starts with the Individual Educational Plan (IEP) to be in effect when the student turns age 14.
- Transition services are a part of the IEP, not a separate plan.
- Transition planning involves the student, the family, school staff, agency staff and others identified by the IEP team.
- Transition planning is not a one-time event.
- The transition process continues until the student exits from the school system.