Leadership Pathways Mission
The mission of Leadership Pathways is to increase the number of extraordinary leaders serving at every level of operation in Seminole County Public Schools through experiential learning and reflective practice.
Leadership Pathways, a function of Human Resources, is designed to be a support system for Seminole County educators on all levels to develop and hone leadership skills.
Through various initiatives, such as job-alike leadership networks, 1:1 mentorship and coaching, ad-hoc book studies and in-service activities, school-based and networked instructional rounds, and our annual summer internships, teachers and leaders learn through collaboration, experience, and reflection.
Leadership Pathways is committed to ensuring excellence and equity for all students by supporting the development of a diverse, highly qualified principal pipeline. Review our SCPS Day One Principal Profile outlining the qualifications and competencies of an SCPS principal.
- Every SCPS teacher and leader has full access in the portal to our SCPS professional library through the Gale Virtual Reference Library, GVRL, with access to more than 100 titles addressing all aspects of student learning and school leadership.
- When prompted, the password is: sunshine
Principal Certification Academy - PCA
- Assistant principals who meet the eligibility requirements below are invited to apply to participate in the Principal Certification Academy to work toward Level II Principal Certification. The Principal Certification Academy is designed to be completed in two (2) years.
- Hold a valid Florida Professional Educator’s Certificate with Educational Leadership
- Currently employed as an SCPS Assistant Principal or equivalent school-based leader; minimum 2 years’ experience as an Assistant Principal or equivalent school-based leader with consecutive Summative Performance ratings of Effective or Highly Effective
- Performance-based Letter of recommendation from current principal (see PCA Application for requirements); and
- Principal Certification Academy Application and Resume
PCA Foundational Leadership Trainings
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Zenger Folkman Elevating Feedback
- True Colors Personal Success
PCA Book Studies
- Assistant Principals participate in and/or lead small groups in the discussion of foundational leadership texts such as Good to Great by Jim Collins, Mindset by Carol Dweck, Excellence Through Equity by Alan M. Blankstein and Pedro Noguera, Solving Disproportionality and Achieving Equity by Edward Fergus, and How to be Exceptional by John Zenger and Joseph Folkman.
- New Principals, new assistant principals, SAM's, and Deans form networks of educators focused on improving the educational outcomes of students in Seminole County Public Schools while evaluating and refining the skills in the areas of instructional leadership and operational efficacy.
Leadership Pathways Aspiring Leaders
- 1:1 Mentorship and Coaching – wondering how you can lead where you are in preparation for where you want to go? 1:1 coaching helps you build on your strengths as you travel your leadership pathway. Schedule some time today – I make house calls, or WebEx calls, or we can meet in the quiet of my office at the ESC – whatever works best for you.
- Leadership Pathways Aspiring Leaders/Leadership Labs are in-service activities designed for teacher leaders who are interested in developing their leadership skills. There are no pre-qualifications. Teacher leaders who are interested in becoming master teachers, PLC leaders, coaches, district teacher leaders, deans, or school administration managers are invited to attend. It is a great way to network with others and let district leaders know you are interested in expanding your role.
Summer Internships for Interested Teacher Leaders
- Leadership Pathways has developed a thriving summer internship program to give aspiring leaders the opportunity to “peek behind the curtain” and learn about the duties and expectations of an Assistant Principal or Principal. In addition, Teaching & Learning, Assessment & Accountability, Students Support Services, ePathways, Information Services, and the Foundation for Seminole County Public Schools at times are a part of the internship opportunity.
- The win for teacher leaders is an opportunity to learn about various leadership positions. The win for mentoring administrators is the opportunity to develop others and have extra help with summer school, preparations for the new school year, special projects and much more
Leadership “Plus” Experiences
Aspiring leaders are invited to participate in “plus” experiences as they come available as described below:
- School-based Leadership Roles
- Teacher leaders are encouraged to volunteer for leadership roles at their worksite. School administrators are notified when teachers become a part of the Aspiring Leaders eCampus course and are encouraged to develop and provide leadership opportunities for their teacher leaders.
- eCampus Aspiring Leader Activities
- Participants are invited to take part in discussion boards and activities related to leadership articles and blogs through a dedicated course in eCampus.
- Instructional Model Professional Development
- Teacher leaders are invited to lead or participate in professional development regarding the SCPS instructional model.
- School leadership begins in the classroom with highly skilled teachers honing their instructional practice through implementation and reflection.
- Leadership Labs
- Future Leadership Labs will provide opportunities for teacher leaders to work collaboratively on action research projects, problems of practice, professional development activities or special projects to spark innovation and leadership development. Leadership Labs will also provide an opportunity to pursue micro-credentials with the support of time, space and critical friends. Labs can be in-person, remote, or blended. For current SCPS employees, detailed and up to date information on meeting dates and times are announced on our eCampus page
SCPS Instructional Model
- Planning Tool for Student Success
- Original SCPS Map
- 60 Protocols
- Professional Online Resource Library
SCPS Leadership Model
Contact Me, I am at Your Service:
As required by Section 668.6076, Florida Statutes, you are hereby notified that:
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Click on one of the names below to view their full bio (if available).