To obtain the gifted endorsement, the participant must take all five courses. It is recommended that Nature and Needs is taken first, but it is not required. Each course is 60 points and the total endorsement is 300 points. You have two years to complete the endorsement classes and may teach gifted during that time, however, you will be considered out of field. Priority registration for the classes will be given to out of field teachers first and second to those recommended by their principals.
Administrative Rule 6A-4.01791
Specialization Requirements for the Gifted Endorsement
- A bachelor's or higher degree with certification in an academic class coverage, and
- Fifteen (15) semester hours in gifted education to include three (3) semester hours in each area specified below:
- Nature and needs of gifted students to include student characteristics; cognitive, social, and emotional needs; and history and current research;
- Curriculum and instructional strategies for teaching gifted students to include modification of curriculum content, instructional process, student products, and learning environment;
- Guidance and counseling of gifted students to include motivation, self-image, interpersonal skills, and career options for gifted students
- Educating special populations of gifted students such as minorities, underachievers, handicapped, economically disadvantaged, and highly gifted to include student characteristics and programmatic adaptations; an
- Theory and development of creativity to include elements of creativity such as fluency, flexibility, originality, and elaboration.
This rule shall take effect July 1, 1992.
Specific Authority 1001.02, 1012.55, 1012.56 FS. Law Implemented 1001.02, 1012.54, 1012.55, 1012.56 FS. History–New 7-1-92.
Some Available Opportunities for Adding the Gifted Endorsement:
- University of North Florida – On line endorsement program
- University of Central Florida – Certificate of gifted education at the graduate level. The courses will apply to a Master’s Degree in Gifted Education. UCF has on-line and face-to-face courses.
- University of South Florida – Online endorsement program, which may be applied to a Master’s in Gifted Education. USF offers a Master’s Degree in Gifted Education online. For additional information: email@example.com or call 813.974.9946.
Other District's Offerings:
- Orange County Public Schools will allow a small number of teachers to take aclass in their endorsement program. The cost is $150 that includes a book.The contact is Martha Kesler at 407.317.3200.
- Broward County Public Schools will allow a small number of teachers toregister into their gifted on-line courses. The cost is $240 per course and does not include the book charge. The phone number is 754.321.4825.