January 19, 2018
From SCPS Superintendent - Dr. Walt Griffin
Greetings SCPS Families,
Dr. Jason Wysong is the Executive Director of ePathways. His work is creating opportunities for all students, Pre-K through 12. In this edition of "In the Zone" I've asked Dr. Wysong to share information with you on our Programs of Emphasis.
Our School Board's Strategic Plan includes two guiding priorities: excellence (high quality, rigorous instruction that fosters creativity and innovation) and equity (high expectations that are consistent for all students). One of the important ways that SCPS achieves excellence and equity is by developing and sustaining programs that engage students in challenging work that is aligned to skills needed for success in college, careers, and citizenship.
In addition to our nationally recognized magnet programs, several high schools have developed an ePathways Program of Emphasis. Students who participate in a Program of Emphasis are empowered to pursue study of a specific multi-disciplinary career pathway over a four-year period. These programs are taught by faculty with industry experience, and students have access to industry-standard equipment. Strong business partners provide continuous feedback to ensure that program equipment and curriculum are keeping up with industry trends and workforce changes.
Students who enroll in these programs have an opportunity to earn nationally recognized industry certifications and/or participate in dual enrollment classes at Seminole State College. These focused programs are also ideal for students interested in research, internships and other professional opportunities. Our current Programs of Emphasis include:
- Advanced Manufacturing & Innovation at Lake Mary High School
- Bioscience Technology at Oviedo High School
- Cybersecurity at Lake Howell High School
- Culinary Arts at Lake Howell High School
- Entrepreneurship at Lake Howell High School
- Finance at Lake Brantley High School
- Forensic Science & Legal Studies at Lake Mary High School
- Modeling, Simulation, & Analysis at Hagerty High School
- PSI High (Problem Solving Incubator) at Seminole High School
- Renewable Energy at Winter Springs High School
- Teaching, Learning, & Leadership at Lyman High School