What are Supplemental Educational Services?
Supplemental Educational Services (SES) is free tutoring for eligible (see below for eligibility criteria) students at Title I schools. Tutoring is offered in reading/language arts, mathematics, or science. The tutoring is additional academic instruction/extended learning that is given outside of the regular school day. These services are paid for by Seminole County Public Schools and are free of charge to parents/guardians. The state-approved SES providers ensure that their services are research-based and aligned to state academic standards. More details may be found in the SES Parent Guide.
Who is eligible for free tutoring during 2012-2013?
The free tutoring is available to students who scored a Level 1 or 2 on the FCAT and attend a Title I school.
Eligible schools for the 2012-2013 school year are: Altamonte, Casselberry, Eastbrook, English Estates, Forest City, Goldsboro, Hamilton, Highlands, Hopper Center, Idyllwilde, Lake Orienta, Layer, Midway, Pine Crest, Spring Lake, Wicklow, Winter Springs Elementary, Milwee, South Seminole and Journeys Academy.
Why is free tutoring through SES only offered to students who meet the above criteria?
Florida law determines specific criteria for offering SES.
Will parents/guardians be asked to pay anything?
No, this program offers a specific number of tutoring hours which are absolutely free.
What are the responsibilities of parents/guardians?
- Selecting a state-approved tutoring provider. The Title I/SES staff members will be happy to assist parents in making a selection.
- Monitoring their child's progress, and completing a satisfaction survey which will be mailed to them after tutorial services have ended.
- Providing transportation to and from the tutoring site, if needed.
- Notifying the district SES office if tutoring does not start within 20 days after enrollment, or if parent is not happy with the tutor/tutoring company. Several options for change exist to ensure parent satisfaction.
What considerations should be made in selecting your child's tutorial provider?
- Your child's academic needs
- The qualifications of the tutor who will work with your child
- Times and days that tutoring is offered vs. your family's schedule
- Length and frequency (how many times per week) of tutoring sessions
- Travel time to provider's location
Will all eligible students receive free tutoring through SES?
If funds are available, all eligible students who apply for SES will be served. However, if funds are not sufficient, the lowest-achieving students will be given first priority.
Where will the tutoring take place?
SES tutoring may be provided on-line via computer, at a tutoring center, at a local community center, library or in your home. Certain eligible SES providers may also provide services at a local school that they have leased.
How to Get Started:
- Choose a tutoring provider - To make an informed decision: attend a Provider Fair, call the District SES Staff at 407-320-0252 or 407-320-0341, view the providers' websites or call several providers to find out more about their programs.
- Complete and submit an application form - Application forms are available at your child's school, Provider Fairs, and the Title I Office, Educational Support Center (ESC), 400 East Lake Mary Blvd., Sanford, FL 32733. You may submit the completed form to your child's teacher, the school's main office, in person at any Provider Fair, in person at the ESC, Title I Office, or by mail to the SES Administrator at the ESC.
- Develop a Student Learning Plan - Once the District SES staff places your child with a provider, the provider will contact you before tutoring begins so you may assist in the development of a Student Learning Plan for your child. It is important that you participate in the process of creating an appropriate learning plan for your child.
- Tutoring begins - Providers will prepare monthly reports detailing your child's progress for you and for your child's teacher. Feel free to communicate any questions or concerns with the provider, or the District SES staff at 407-320-0252 or 407-320-0341.